Citi Premier vs Chase Sapphire Preferred card: which is the best?
Both Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred have excellent reputations and strong reward points programs. This review will show you the pros and cons of each one to help you choose the best for you.
by Julia Bermudez
Citi Premier or Chase Sapphire Preferred: card comparison
Are you trying to choose between Citi Premier or Chase Sapphire Preferred cards? If you are looking for a middle-range travel reward card, you have two excellent options.
On the one hand, Citi Premier has a flexible ThankYou Reward Points program. On the other hand, the Chase Sapphire Preferred gives you 5 points on purchases made at the Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Their benefits are very similar, so pay attention to the details to choose the best for you. This article will bring a comparison of the pros and cons of both cards to help you decide. Stay with us.
|Citi Premier||Chase Sapphire Preferred|
|Sign-up bonus||60,000 points after $4,000 spent in the first three months||60,000 bonus points after $4,000 spent in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||3x ThanYou Reward Points in air tickets, hotels, gas stations, supermarkets, and restaurants||5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards|
3x points on dining at restaurants
3x points on select streaming services and online grocery purchases
1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
|Other perks||$100 annual Hotel Savings benefits.|
Especial access to selected entertainment events with Citi Entertainment.
|Each account anniversary, you get points equal to 10% of your total purchases in that year.|
Travel and rental insurance
|APR||15.99% – 23.99% variable||15.99%-22.99% Variable|
Citi Premier credit card
The Citi Premier credit card offers reward points on a wide range of categories: air tickets, hotels, gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants, deliveries, and take-out. This means that almost every purchase you make will give you 3 points per dollar. People usually spend thousands of dollars on supermarkets and gas stations, so this means that your everyday house expenses will turn into benefits.
You can choose to redeem your ThanYou points as cashback. That way, your points will value 1 cent per point. Doing some quick math, if you spend $800 per month on the purchases mentioned above, you’ll have $288 cashback by the end of the year.
If you prefer to redeem your points to travel, you can. Citi ThankYou Rewards Program has various airline partners to transfer bonus points. Also, you’ll have damage and theft protection with the World Elite Mastercard benefits.
Through Citi Entertainment, you’ll have exclusive access to tickets for a variety of selected events.
It is an excellent card for everyday use and people who like to collect rewards points but don’t travel or go out for dining too often.
- A generous welcome bonus that can value up to $1000 when you redeem them.
- Has a competitive potential value of reward points
- Earn reward points on everyday expenses.
- An extensive list of partners to transfer your ThankYou points.
- It doesn’t offer too many perks, credit, and discounts.
- Has a $95 annual fee.
- If you have received the welcome bonus on any Citi credit card in the last 24 months, you can’t receive it again.
Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great travel credit card. If you use it to buy your tickets and book hotels through the Chase Ultimate Rewards, you’ll earn 5 points per dollar. And to redeem your points through it, they’ll value 25% more.
But you’ll also receive 3 points for dining and restaurants purchases, including take-out and delivery, and 1 point for every other purchase.
You can get hundreds of dollars worth in rewards, which justifies the $95 annual fee. Also, the welcome bonus is really attractive. The 60,000 points can value $750 if you redeem them through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- Attractive welcome bonus, with high potential value
- The Ultimate Reward Points program is one of the best in the market.
- The rewards, credits, and discounts can easily surpass the annual fee.
- No foreign transaction fees
- Travel and rental insurance, as long as extended warranties on selected purchases.
- Anniversary bonus: earn points equal to 10% of your total purchases of that year.
- Has a $95 annual fee.
- You can’t receive the welcome bonus if you have already received one on any other Sapphire-branded Chase credit card in the last 48 months. And the welcome bonus is one of the best benefits of this card.
Citi Premier or Chase Sapphire Preferred card: which you should choose?
Both Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards have similar benefits and the same annual fee. The welcome bonus is also the same. There are just a few details that can help you make a decision:
- They both give a 60,000 welcome bonus, but if you redeem your Chase Sapphire points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards, they will value $750. The ThankYou points of Citi Premier will value $600. Also, Chase Sapphire gives 5 points for travel purchases through the Chase Ultimate Rewards, against the 3 points offer from the Citi Premier.
- Citi Premier gives three reward points per dollar for supermarket and gas station purchases, and Chase Sapphire Premier provides only 1 point per dollar. If you don’t usually go out for dinner or don’t travel that often you’ll get better advantage and reward points with the Citi Premier.
With minor differences, you’ll have a great travel card, no matter which one you choose. But if you’d like to look at a third option, we have one.
The Capital One Venture Rewards compare to both cards in this review. It has a $95 annual fee and offers reward miles in various purchases. Would you like to know how to get yours? Stay with the Stealth Capitalist and check the following.
About the author / Julia Bermudez
Applying for the Aspire® Cash Back Reward Card: learn how!
Find out how to apply for an Aspire® Cash Back Reward card, what to do before applying, and much more. Read on!Keep Reading
Milestone® Mastercard® – Mobile Access to Your Account full review
How can the Milestone® Mastercard® – Mobile Access to Your Account review help you build credit? Read on to find out!Keep Reading
You may also like
LightStream personal loan application: how to apply now!
Have you already made the LightStream personal loan application? Find out how to go about getting the credit you dreamed of.Keep Reading
The best rewards credit cards of 2022: choose your favorite
The best rewards credit cards are the ones that meet our needs. Check out some amazing options for 2022 and choose your favorite!Keep Reading
Applying for the Fortiva® Mastercard® Credit Card: learn how!
Want rewards even with a bad credit score? Then discover how great the Fortiva® Mastercard® Credit Card can be and how to apply!Keep Reading